27 May 2002

Rings-Thing Weblog Project--week 2
There were obviously a lot of changes (additions, deletions, just plain changes) made in adapting The Fellowship of the Ring from book to film. Discuss one or more, in any degree of detail you wish.


Just got back from MediaWestCon, am exhausted, and incapable of rational thought. So I'll repeat a couple of observations I made months ago in my blog, and hope to do better if we tackle this topic again.

1. In the book, Frodo has a vision of Gandalf pacing in captivity at Isengard (even though he sees this vision NOT when the event is happening, it is still a true vision). In the movie, Frodo calls out to Gandalf in his extremity after being stabbed by the morgul blade. Interesting how PJ kept the psychic connection but in an entirely different manner. This particular change doesn't strike me as either positive or negative--it's just something PJ changed that I think works as well as the original.

2. The "I wish the ring had never come to me" speech in Moria between Gandalf and Frodo is actually a reworked conversation from the very beginning of the book ("The Shadow of the Past"), and originally took place in Bag End. In its original form, Gandalf had just explained to Frodo what the ring he inherited from Bilbo actually was, and Frodo comments "I wish it need not have happened in my time." To which Gandalf responds, "So do I, and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide." Etc. I think the conversation is SO much more poignant and meaningful where Peter Jackson has moved it.

No comments: