27 February 2002

Viewing #14
In a movie full of beautiful things, there's not much more beautiful than Elijah Wood in the Birthday Party scenes. Absolutely gorgeous. Guess we won't be seeing that smile again in the other two installments.

I love Frodo's packing skills (or lack thereof). We do see that he's actually a hobbit--he packs more food than clothes. And stuffs in his clothing totally unfolded--even unfolding the shirt that Gandalf has folded for him.

Those Elrond-Gandalf glances during the council--those two have more going on than we know. Besides the winks and nods, there's the look Elrond gives Gandalf when Boromir begins his "It is a gift" speech. Did they know *someone* would make this argument, or did they know that Boromir, specifically, would?

Frodo looks *so* pleased when Gandalf is the first to join him in the "Fellowship" (which has not yet been named), and seems to lean into him in the group shot (could be a trick of the forced perspective or trick shot, but possibly not). It seems only fair that Gandalf accompany him, doesn't it, since it's Gandalf's fault he's even in Rivendell in the first place. In the shots of them leaving Rivendell and beginning the next stage of the quest, it's always Frodo right behind or beside Gandalf. What a cruel trick to first deprive him of his absolute trust in Gandalf, and then deprive him of Gandalf altogether.

Karen pointed this one out to me: When the fellowship hides from the crabein, where did the horse go? My theory is that the reason Gandalf was the last to hide was that he was "disappearing" good old Bill. We sure don't see hide nor hair of him in that scene, and believe me, I have looked. (Funny how Aragorn manages to hide with Frodo though--pervy hobbit fancier. Sam will kill him if he tries anything...) If you haven't read Cassie Claire's LiveJournal yet, do so immediately!

OK, I think in Moria, the only thing Aragorn yells to Frodo (several times) is "Frodo!" Manages to sound different each time, but I *think* that's it. I could be wrong. I guess this means I'm running out of things to check on!

No comments: