28 February 2002

Viewing #16 - I got caught up before I went to #17! V good... However, I'm going to wimp out and *not* go to #17 tonight. 4 successive nights of less than 4 hours sleep have left me pretty ragged, and Cate's voice is SO soothing in the opening...

Thank heavens it's been held over for one more week--I went into a panic yesterday when I tried to do a search for next week and no Chicago locations came up. Database must not have been updated yet. So I'll work on getting my LOTR website up tonight--look for additions (see link in right-hand column) besides the Lij's birthday page that's been there for the last month.

Anyway, most of my writing at #16 seems to have been on my jeans (involuntarily). Have I finally reached the point where I have nothing more to say about the movie? Seems unlikely. However, I did go to #16 with Jean and Karen, and I generally take more notes when I'm by myself, so maybe that was it. We were in another new theatre within the Evanston complex, so I'm racking up different theatre points here.

Woo hoo! I finally saw the car (or whatever people think is a car) in the shire. I was looking in *totally* the wrong scene, duh. It's not nearly as distracting as the amazing moving scarecrow in the same segment. Now I can go back to watching Elijah instead...

I love the movement Ian uses as Gandalf, to flip the cover back over Saruman's palantir. Just one of those little kinds of gestures he probably learned on the stage, but it's SO graceful. But then, as you've probably noticed, I worship Sir Ian...

Stupid question for this viewing: When Frodo goes invisible in the Prancing Pony, why doesn't anyone step on him during that extended period where he's seeing the black riders? Seems like he was in a very small clear spot on the floor near the bar, and although they might have backed away initially, everyone seems to have gone on with their drinking by the time he becomes visible again. If he keeps falling on his back like that, someone *is* going to do *something*

Things I'd change: During Elrond's council, when Frodo flinches as Gimli attempts to destroy the ring, Gandalf starts to reach out to him but stops. Too bad--Frodo really needs the support, and Gandalf is the one he most needs it from.
OK, this isn't Gandalf and Frodo, but I love it anyway.

If you like the Gandalf/Frodo photo from the previous entry, you can get a poster of it from New Line, and it's even on sale. The LOTR shop is here

No comments: