I guess since I found my notebook, I should type up my notes from #21-22. Won't bother much with the trailer since Harry's notes are so complete. I went early on Friday to try to make sure to see the trailer *before* I saw the movie, if possible, so that I wouldn't be so much on tenterhooks for the entire 3 hours. Got antsy waiting in the lobby for the rest of the group to show, so I went in a bit early--just in time to see Boromir die. Goody. Unfortunately, Karen was a bit later than she expected and I heard the door open behind me JUST as the final shot of the trailer (Frodo's eyes opening) faded out. I still had goosebumps. SO amazing. The mood PJ creates with that trailer is just fantastic. I could hardly wait to see it again--so, in effect, seeing it before the movie didn't really keep me from anticipating it at all! I did decide to sit on the right side of the theatre this time, so that different things in the soundtrack would be emphasized (for example, Boromir's "Frodo! I'm sorry!" is much clearer on the left side).
Now, back to your regularly-scheduled musings and dumb questions.
- Ian does a lot of acting with his eyes in this film--an incredible amount, considering the percentage of time he spends doing work in the theatre. I wonder if this took him a bit of time and feedback to learn, or did he immediately realize what he could do differently on the screen?
- Gandalf saying to Frodo "the name Baggins is not safe outside the Shire"--duh, it's not safe IN the Shire either.
- Was Boromir infected with ringlust when he cut his finger on the shards of Narsil? I don't think so, but it's an interesting concept. I think Boromir wants the ring totally aside from any ringlust: he truly believes that it is the last hope for his people. How could he possibly abandon that hope unless he has total faith in their ability to destroy the ring? Which he doesn't, of course. When Galadriel speaks to him in his head, and tells him that there *is* still hope, does she mean the ringbearer's quest? And does he know that? Or does he think that his taking of the ring is that last hope? Yeah, I'm still stuck on that "Galadriel precipated the crisis" thing.
- I love the way Orlando aims his bow as Legolas. That little head cock. It somehow makes it more believable that it's a slightly idiosyncratic way to shoot.
- Frodo immediately goes to Gandalf when he spots what turns out to be Gollum. Even though Gandalf is "thinking" and any of Aragorn, Boromir, or Legolas might be better options if the intruder turns out to be an enemy that needs to be eliminated. So I guess their bond hasn't been *too* much weakened by Gandalf's minor cases of "clay feet."
- As Karen and I have discussed many a time, Boromir is definitely the champion hobbit-catcher of the fellowship. He catches Frodo twice in Moria alone. Legolas gets to catch everyone else...
No comments:
Post a Comment