11 June 2002

Rings-Thing Topic: Where would you most like to live--the Shire, Rivendell, Lorien or Gondor--and why?

My movieverse answer is definitely different than my bookverse one here. In the books, I was always fascinated with Lothlorien, much more so than any other place (although Mirkwood also intrigued me). Possibly I was put off by the "last homely house" epithet about Elrond's place of residence. However, in the movieverse...

Rivendell is so far my favorite place that there wasn't even a second's hesitation with my answer. This photo has **ahem** nothing to do with it. Well, not much, at least. But really, I think Rivendell has everything I want: lots of water (my major requirement in a place, and why I love Chicago, New York, and San Francisco best), beautiful architecture, lots of interesting people and things to do, Elrond... Gondor would be my second choice, as it is also "civilisation" as I define it, but my preference would be the realm of Elrond Half-Elven. I might miss the nightlife of a major city, but I'm sure hanging out at Elrond's of a night would be just as stimulating. Might even be the occasional bit of dancing. The Shire is just way too bucolic for me (although I do love Bag End) and I'd tire of it very quickly, and the Lady of Lorien is not one of my favorite personages (to put it mildly). It's Rivendell for me. And the hobbit has nothing to do with it. Really.

No comments: