23 August 2002

Fanfic survey gacked from Torch

1. What fandoms have you written in?

Pretty damn short list, for me. Published fanfic: only Blake's 7. Unpublished and/or unfinished: Lord of the Rings, Doctor Who, SeaQuest, Robin of Sherwood. And Duran Duran, sort of.

2. Which fandom(s) do you think are your strongest? Why?

Blake's 7. I felt like I knew it backwards and forwards. And I certainly understood the characters.

3. Which fandom(s) do you think you're not as strong in? Why?

LOTR - not a Tolkien expert, by any means, nor do I want to be.

4. What fandom(s) do you wish you could write in? Why?

I'd love to be writing LOTR *right now*, not just playing around with it. And maybe Highlander (I love Methos, Richie, Joe, and Amanda). Or Buffy.

5. In your opinion (as opposed to what you get told in feedback) what are your strengths as a writer?

Only wrote one really good story, and its strength was its characters. The plot was OK, but secondary. The dialogue was pretty good for me (that's not generally my strength), but that's because I knew the two main characters' speech patterns pretty well.

6. In your opinion, what are your weaknesses?

Finishing anything! And showing, not telling. And dialogue. And description.

7. Have you ever gotten feedback about either your strengths or weaknesses that you disagreed with?

Not that I can recall. Or, wait. Was a co-writer of one humourous story that got negative feedback because the dumb reader didn't *get* that it was funny. Now, I'd assume that we just didn't carry off the humour, only everyone *else* seemed to get it...

8. Overall, what's the worst piece you've ever written? (Meaning you look back on it now and cringe, not a piece you deliberately wrote to be badfic)

Published? I don't publish it if I don't think it will hold up--that's why I've had only 4 pieces published. Unpublished? I suppose the several Doctor Who pieces I began but discarded. Possibly the Robin of Sherwood, but I thought it had real potential.

9. Overall, what's the story(ies) that you're proudest of?

Strangely enough, the title just left my head (dealing with a migraine today). It was my first published B7 piece, that won an award at a con in the UK. Servalan piece, with "Phoenix" in the title. Wait... Shattered Phoenix?

No comments: