Borrowed this from Dargie ages ago and forgot to do it...
What's on your bedside table?
Well, I don't have one, and every box and stick of furniture is stacked with things, since I'm so cramped in my small apartment. Near my bed, I think I have: my alarm clock, a box of cat treats, a small HEPA air filter, some hair ornaments, and anything else that landed there recently.
What is the geekiest part of your music collection?
Not sure what kind of music would be considered "geeky". My collection is fairly eclectic, ranging from classical (I am most partial to piano, such as Chopin or Liszt, but I like a lot of other things especially if they've been used for a ballet or a skating performance) to techno-dance (Erasure), and lots of 60s (Mamas and the Papas, Donovan, Beatles, Stones, Who) and 80s (Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys, Ultravox). Most stuff by the Eagles, the Police, Sting, Dwight Yoakum, Midge Ure; selections from Patti Lupone, Julia Fordham, George Michael, Neil Diamond, Elton John, and a host of others...
What do you eat when you raid the fridge late at night?
Well, I mostly eat my main meal very late at night (midnight or so), so my raiding is usually when I get home from work. Foods of choice are sliced cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, chocolate (yes, I keep it in the fridge), or cookies (not in the fridge). I must always have a can, bottle or glass of Pepsi or Mountain Dew with me, at all times.
What is your secret guaranteed weeping movie?
I can't say there is ONE, although I suspect very soon it will be "The Return of the King." The Tim Dalton "Wuthering Heights" usually gets to me. The Vivien Leigh "Waterloo Bridge." That one certain scene in "The Ice Storm" and the similar one in "The Witness" (see photo at upper right if you need a clue). Peter Weir has a moment he repeated with Mel Gibson racing against time to save a friend--he used it in both Gallipoli and The Year of Living Dangerously--that makes me want to scream and cry simultaneously. If you want one thing that will absolutely, positively make me cry every time, it's the original London cast recording of "Les Miserables," especially "I Dreamed a Dream" and "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables." I am notorious for, the first time I went to see Les Mis in the theatre, having started to cry during the OVERTURE.
If you could have plastic surgery, what would you have done?
I have always, from the first day I can remember, wanted to have my nose fixed. However, since I've gotten so badly out of shape in recent years, I think I'd start with a tummy tuck.
Do you have a completely irrational fear?
Not in the way of spiders or heights or such. I have panic attacks usually triggered by being closed in by large groups of people and being unable to get away, but that's not the same sort of thing. My biggest fear, whether rational or not, is of making the wrong decision (one of which I recently did IN A BIG WAY). I obsess over nearly every decision I make, second guessing myself until people just want to shoot me to put me out of my misery.
What is the little physical habit that gives away an insecure moment?
I lick my lips incessantly when I'm nervous.
Do you ever have to beg?
Ummm, "have to"? No.
Are you a pyromaniac?
I was never much into playing with matches, although I enjoy campfires as much as the next person. Maybe if I ever make it to a Guy Fawkes celebration, I'll change my mind.
Do you have too many love interests?
Ummm, people would probably say yes on my behalf. I almost never give up liking someone or something--I just keep adding to my list. I usually, however, totally obsess over only one person or thing at a time.
Do you know anyone famous?
Between SF fandom and skating fandom, sure. Maybe even some names you'd know!
Describe your bed:
I have a 20-year-old futon. Maybe 10 years ago, a neighbor of my mother's got rid of her futon frame (very hard, unfinished wood) and futon, so I added those to mine. Between the two old, hard futons, at least I can only *barely* feel the slats...
Spontaneous or planned?
I really, really prefer to have things relatively planned out, so that at least if I want to be spontaneous, I know what I'm missing. Lately I've been more spontaneous, but that's only because I'm so disorganized.
Who should play you in a movie about your life?
Unfortunately, the best person would have been Gilda Radner.
Do you know how to play poker?
Boy, I used to. Never played with much regularity, but I could play. I suppose it would come back to me.
What do you carry with you at all times?
Chapstick, an emery board, my keys, Dristan (for allergies), sinus pills, ibuprofen, clorazepate for my panic attacks (which I left on the counter today--be calm!!!), the keycard for my office door, usually my Wrigley Field ID, my wallet (with ATM card and grocery store shopper cards, credit cards and LOTR fanclub card), and a pen. I used to always carry a notebook, but lately I've been forgetting it. A CTA card and a spare CTA card.
How do you drive?
I don't. Gave up driving about 25 years ago, although I maintain my driver's license.
What do you miss most about being little?
I mostly didn't enjoy my childhood. I do miss living in a house rather than an apartment, and having a yard I could sit in.
Are you happy with your given name?
Relatively. I used to hate it, but now I mostly enjoy being different--just in time for all the gen-xers to give their kids Victorian names and I'm introduced to another one with my name every day.
What was the last song you were listening to?
Fallen Angel by Midge Ure, the live version.
How much money would it take to get you to give up the Internet for one year?
Enough to make me fabulously wealthy for life, and even then I'd probably cheat.
What color is your bedroom?
The walls? I guess off white. I tend to decorate with slate blue and dusty purple, what little decorating I do. Or black.
Have you ever been in a play?
In high school and my first year of college, I very badly wanted to go into drama. I did a couple of bit parts my freshman year in High School, and in my sophomore year I won an award for my role in "Up the Down Staircase." Unfortunately, I then hit college and was totally out of my depth, and gave it up.
Have you ever been in love?
Frequently, but not seriously.
Do you talk a lot?
Either incessantly or not at all. There's not much middle ground with me.
Do you like yourself and believe in yourself?
No, and not really, but maybe. Sting once said something when asked about his attitude, that his aloofness was a weird combination of shyness and arrogance. I'm not Sting, but I know exactly what he meant.
Have you ever done any illegal drugs?
I was always afraid I had an addictive personality so I avoid most drugs. Did a bit of grass in my time, and had a brief flirtation with overuse of alcohol.
Do you think you're cute?
Uh, no. Not now, not ever.
Do you consider yourself to be a nice person?
Not particularly. I don't think "nice" is a word that comes to mind when I, or others, think of me. I'm probably no worse than the next person, but not particularly "nice."
No comments:
Post a Comment