20 September 2002

Friday Five

1. Would you say that you're good at keeping in touch with people?
No, in fact, I'm pretty hopeless. My time always seems to limited to do everything I want and need to do, especially in the summer when I work two jobs, and keeping in touch with any but my closest friends is one of the first things to go. And I always, always regret it, but I don't seem to be able to change the pattern.

2. Which communication method do you usually prefer/use: e-mail, telephone, snail mail, blog comments, or meeting in person? Why?
I think I communicate best by IM... I'm a fast typist, if not always that good a one (but at least I can spell). Failing that, e-mail and blog comments. Love to meet up with people, and surprisingly enough, I usually find that I *do* like people in person that I've liked online--I didn't realize that would be the case quite as often as it has been. I hate, detest, and frankly, fear, the telephone. There are maybe 3 people I don't mind chatting with on the phone--the rest of the world can just lose my number. I've had a phobia about phones since childhood, and since I have to work with them full-time, I'd just as soon avoid them entirely when I'm on my own time.

3. Do you have an instant messenger program? How many? Why/why not? How often do you use it?
I use AIM, mostly because it worked well for me initially (when most of my friends either had AIM or AOL) and I've never had a reason to change it. I like ICQ, especially it's skinnability, but I had lots of problems with it crashing, and just never went back to it. Maybe once I upgrade the computer. I've used Yahoo Messenger, but it seems like just a riff on AIM. Eventually, I imagine I'll go to one of compendium programs that works with the major IM programs--I forget the name of the current most popular one.

4. Do most of your close friends live nearby or far away?
I have a few close friends who live relatively near---none so near that I see them every day, but close enough that I could see them every month (although since I don't drive and we're all busy, that doesn't always happen). At least 3 of those folks would be amongst my best friends wherever they lived, and a few would probably fall into the "good friends but not bosom buddies" list except that they're close enough that I get to spend more time with them and thus get to know them better than I might have otherwise. I also have a slightly larger number of close friends who are scattered all over the country, and a few of them all over the world. As stated above, I regret that I don't keep in better touch with them.

5. Are you an "out of sight, out of mind" person, or do you believe that "distance makes the heart grow fonder"?
I tend to move from B to A as time passes--I miss folks like crazy for a while, but I will eventually move on if I have to.

No comments: