16 September 2002

Toronto photos & Monday Mission

Most of my Toronto photos are up now--mine and Anne's are on my webpage, with the movie recap and journal entries to follow.

In other news...
1. Do you have a favorite piece of poetry or prose written by someone else? Care to share it?
I'd like to list something really clever--I was an English major, after all. I love Shelley, and Wordsworth, and especially T.S. Eliot. But my favorite poem is the one my mother used to read to me when I was little, so often that I can still recite it from memory, "The Highwayman" by Alfred Noyes. I found a nice online version here. My favorite passage (there is NOTHING like melodrama, is there?):
Tlot tlot, in the frosty silence! Tlot tlot, in the echoing night!
Nearer he came and nearer! Her face was like a light!
Her eyes grew wide for a moment, she drew one last deep breath,
Then her finger moved in the moonlight--
Her musket shattered the moonlight--
Shattered her breast in the moonlight and warned him--with her death.

2. In High School, did you enjoy creative writing? Do you currently do any other writing in addition to your Blog?
If by Creative Writing you mean an actual course--I've never been into writing courses. I *have* written my entire life, first doing more nonfiction until about 15 years ago, when I finally started writing a little fanfic. I'm theoretically writing fanfic now, although I must emphasize the word "theoretically" since it's not actually happening.

3. Have you ever noticed that the Blog entries you least expect to get the most comments do, and those you expect to generate a lot of feedback don't? Which Blog entry of yours surprised you by getting a lot of comments? Which one did you think would generate a lot but didn't?
For the most part, no. I don't get a lot of comments at the best of times (except for stuff like posting photos of Elijah Wood...). I've gotten used to that.

4. Sometimes you get a chance to make a lifestyle change that has a huge impact on the course your life takes. That is, a moment where something became very clear to you, and that realization changed your life, such as: the need to leave a relationship, to stop an addiction, to bond with someone, to start a new career, and so on. Have you ever had an "awakening" moment in your life?
No, nothing sudden like that, really. The only two major changes in my life were 1) when I dropped out of college for a year, after suddenly realizing that wouldn't end my life, and 2) when I figured out that by the time Chicago offered me a "real" teaching job, I'd be so entrenched at my current (23 years now) job that I wouldn't bother to change, and that after a lifetime of planning to teach. Latest change isn't a huge one but HAS made a difference in my life--moving out of the figure skating fandom mainstream and back into SF fandom.

5. Then there are other times where you can have a huge impact on someone else's life. You suggest they see a doctor, stop them from taking that last drink, or maybe just say some kind words at the moment. Have you made a lasting positive impact on the life of someone else?
Don't think so, no. And I'd rather not, really. Too much of a wimp.

6. Are there any charities or organizations which you support? How did you come to be involved with them?
Not particularly. I give, on and off, to Amnesty International, NOW, and I used to give to NARAL (until the phone calls got too frequent). I have a policy of NOT giving to charities that solicit by telephone--I feel they've given up the right to expect my support by taking up my time.

7. Care to collaborate with me? Help me out and write the rest of this poem:

I drifted though a dream last night,
visions full of colors bright.
My thoughts began to drift to you,
and in an instant we were two.

I touched your hand,
We began to blend,
Filled with a feeling
that should have no end.

Nope, can't do it. Mondays are awful enough as it is--I barely found the time to do this at all!
....

BONUS: Hey cutie, what's up with this attitude?
Attitude? You call this ATTITUDE? I'll give you attitude!

No comments: