1. Do you remember your first encounter with computers? Tell me about that.
As a teenager, an aptitude test said I'd be good with computers. Since I didn't see my first computer for about 12 years after that, that particular career suggestion didn't go far.
When I first started at my current job (23 years ago), we had recently computerized--sort of. The larger organization of which we were an affiliate had a computer system. We had to write out all our information in a specific format so that their data entry people could add it to the system. We could view the records directly, but not change them. What a royal pain.
Not TOO long after that (maybe a year?) we did finally computerize our own offices, and I was one of the first handful to get a computer. I've tried to maintain that lead ever since...
2. How late can you stay up and still be functional the next day? Do you do that very often?
This is an ongoing experiment. It used to be that 6-7 hours were standard for me, and 5 hours was the absolute minimum that I couldn't do too often and still function. As my life gets more hectic, and especially on days when I work both jobs or have a lot of website work to do, 4-5 hours becomes the most frequent amount of sleep I get (more than half the time). Then about every two weeks or so, *if* I get an actual day off (sometimes it's 3 weeks), I die for about 10 hours.
3. When was the last really good hug you got from another adult? Who was it and what was the situation?
Not sure how to define "really good hug." I'm not a very physical person.
4. One thing about children is that they all like to draw. We all shared the same ability and skill level at one time. Do you still like to draw? (Not do you think you draw well, or do others, but do you like to?) If not, how come? Did you get discouraged at some point?
Can't draw. Never could. I don't ever remember particularly liking to draw, although I did enjoy coloring and finger painting as a child. I always preferred to use the other side of my brain and write (or better yet, read). Lately I've integrated a bit more, and I enjoy making web graphics, doing photography, and making "artwork" out of photographic images.
5. I way overslept today. I had to head to work with no shower (don't get too close), and I am not in the best of moods. Have you ever overslept on a day you had something important going on? What's the story there?
Unfortunately, it happens to me more and more as I get less and less sleep. Because of my seniority and my good staff, I get away with it far more often than I should. My biggest problem is that I won't compromise to try to make it to work on time--no way I'll go in unshowered or with my hair unwashed. If it's really urgent, I might opt for a cab rather than the bus, although in Chicago traffic that doesn't always mean I'll get there any faster.
6. Ever go shopping for something you know you can't afford? You look at it and even think about how it will look when you get it home, somehow you justify the cost and believe it can happen? And just before you get to the counter come to your senses? What was the last thing you almost bought, but thought better of it? And why the heck do we do that to ourselves?
I was never an impulsive sort of person, but I've been making up for that in the last decade or so by making almost *all* of my decisions impulsively. The latest was (is?) a trip to San Diego in less than two weeks, which there is no way I can afford and which I hope I will be able to resist taking. The biggest problem is, I've been really happy with a lot of my impulse trips and purchases!
7. (It begins again...) It's all such a blur now. I'd asked you to help me wake up but the alarm didn't go off. It was 10 till and just I knew I'd be late. Somehow you got me here on time. How did you do that?
Not a clue, since it never works for me.
BONUS: Can't you see, you belong to me?
One of the scariest stalker songs of all time, pure genius lyric and music by Sting. Too bad more than half the population doesn't get it.
No comments:
Post a Comment