24 July 2002

thanks to Dargie -- Two For Tuesday

OK, so I'm doing it on Wednesday. Sue me.

1. What sound do you love to hear and why?
Water, almost any kind (except the annoying faucet-dripping that I can't get to stop in my kitchen sink). I have one of those noise-making machines I keep next to the bed, and it's almost always set at either "rain" or "surf." When I go to the beach (OK, it's been a couple of years--when I **used** to go to the beach), while I occasionally take my Walkman, I almost invariable end up going out as far as I can on the most remote pier in my area, as distant from the sound of screaming children as it's possible to get in Rogers Park (I don't mind the screaming seagulls I get instead) and turning off the tape in favor of the sound of the waves breaking. Why do I love this sound? I have no idea. Always have. Cannot bear the thought of living very far from the water.

Second favorite sound is the sound of the blades of a very good figure skater, moving very fast. Like when ice dancers are warming up before practice (just before you hear the crash...) The love of this sound is much easier to track--about a 14-year history of being a major figure skating fan, and I'm never happier than when I'm sitting at a practice at a major event.

2. Is there a smell that you find particularly unpleasant? Why?
My sink always smells mildewy, which I don't much like (but then, who does?). I can't think of any particularly idiosyncratic smell preferences I have...

No comments: