Are you buying both the August and November DVD (or VHS) releases of the film? If you are just buying one, which will it be and why? Is the content of the different versions (different cuts of the film, different extras, etc.) good marketing or corporate greed?
OK, are any of us that are geeky enough to 1) keep a weblog, and 2) participate in Rings-Thing NOT geeky enough to get both versions of the DVD? Exempting anyone who simply cannot afford it, of course. I THINK not.
I VERY briefly debated about just holding out for the Collector's Edition, and making do with either the VCD or watching other people's copies or renting until November. Uh uh. Heck, we're having a party to celebrate the release of the DVD in a couple of weeks--gotta have it, don't I? Second theory was that I'd try to resell my original DVD once the November release came out, but how likely was THAT? Yeah, snowball's chance.
Is it corporate greed? Somehow it doesn't really feel like it, entirely. We do know that some of it is PJ's perfectionism. I mean, they had to refund some initial orders for the August release because the fanclub members names aren't on it because the SPECIAL MUSIC wasn't ready in time? Huh? That's just TOO PJ. So now I don't get to see my name until NOVEMBER, darn it! But at least I won't have to sit through all that scrolling--sometimes being in the first 10% of the alphabet is a GOOD thing. Some of the variations are just trying to offer something for everyone--I mean, even most of us real geeks aren't buying ALL the possible combinations.
I think the most likely explanation is, August is *already* a long time to wait for the DVD release. Let's get something out now for the general public, and the less geeky (and the *truly* geeky who get everything). The real fans will wait for the full release. I'm actually rather glad they've made the "extras" a bit different, since it helps justify something I was already going to do...
No comments:
Post a Comment